Every idea starts with a problem. Ours was simple: blockchain data is public.
Duy was running Autonomous where he paid a team of 100+ people in 6 different countries with an ERC20 stablecoin. While he saved processing time and money on international wire fees, employee salaries were exposed publicly on the Ethereum blockchain. It was a mess.
Many of the team had similar experiences, frustrated at how hard it was to send, receive and store crypto privately, even in a rapidly tokenizing world. No one wants to show their bank statements to the entire world.
We started Incognito to create an alternative — the choice of privacy whenever needed, simple for anyone to obtain. Incognito mode for blockchains.
A full-stack approach to decentralized privacy
Incognito embraces a full-stack approach to decentralized privacy. Every layer of the stack works to deliver a simple, fast and secure end-to-end privacy experience for the new decentralized web.
- Physical Layer. Incognito’s low cost, efficient and streamlined mining hardware removes typical barriers to entry. It allows for anyone to become a validator and earn passive income, paid out in various cryptoassets such as BTC and ETH.
- Network Layer. A high-throughput proof-of-stake blockchain, made possible by the implementation of state sharding with 1 beacon chain and N shard chains.
- Data Layer. Incognito uses zero-knowledge proofs, ring signatures, stealth addresses, and confidential transactions to mask the sender, receiver and transaction amount.
- Application Layer. Incognito is mobile-first. Incognito’s wallet is a simple and secure tool for anyone to manage their cryptoassets confidentially. Incognito built the entire Zero-Knowledge Proof (ZKP) stack for mobile from scratch. Send a private transaction on mobile in seconds.
Incognito operates a number of bridges that connect Incognito with other blockchains (i.e. Ethereum), to allow two-way transfers of cryptoassets whenever privacy is needed.
Over the first 12 months, Incognito has 12,000+ commits and 1M+ lines of code in 14 public repos and 2 private repos.
The code is hosted on Github at https://github.com/incognitochain.
The core team
We’re a diverse team of 23 cryptographers, distributed system researchers, and programmers. We’ve been busy building the privacy layer of the decentralized web since May 2018.
Explore the Mainnet
As of 1 November 2019, the Incognito Mainnet is live. Here are the key products, all of which are available to explore for free:
1. Privately send, receive and store your crypto:
2. Issue your own privacy coin with a couple of taps:
4. Bonus: coming soon, the first ever privacy DEX