[Shipped] Community rewards for contributing to the privacy conversation

Hey @ning , I have two questions:
1- Isn’t Promoter badge automatically given? One of my friends redeemed my invitation request but I did not earn Promoter badge.

2- My friends didn’t receive my invitation request mails sent by Discourse. I had to send the invitation requests as links. Today I tried the mail facility with my another mail. It worked. Were there any problem before? or do those mails sometimes go to spam folders?

2 Likes

Hey -

yes - should be automatic - just tested it myself and it works. could this be because of how your friends redeemed your invitation request? please can you make the invitation request via the invite button on your user page, and please ensure that your friends verify their email addresses.

i also checked emails (thanks for flagging it) and it seems to be ok now. maybe your friends will need to redeem the invite via email and verify their email address. would recommend checking spam folder too.

Let me know if that works!

4 Likes

How is the no committee marathoner different from the no earning streak? (#askingforafriend :yum::wink:)

2 Likes

@Mike_Wagner would know best, but my guess is… one is a ‘participant’ badge, one is a ‘winner’ badge :rofl:

2 Likes

Ohhh makes sense!

2 Likes

@ning I tried nearly all possibilities with some email addresses but no way. I use Send Invite facility in my profile. Here is screenshot:

Without activation email, the user cannot log in the forum. So, my friends had to confirm their emails. Can the issue be related with the user level? Just that option remains after my trials.

Btw, could you remove deneme2, deneme, deneme0 users? I used them for my trials. demrence and sampiyonyus are OK.

Last but not least, I have a suggestion for a new badge (Bug Finder). If I’m correct on this issue, you may give that badge to me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To clarify - you are not receiving emails at all, correct? Let me PM you to debug.

1 Like

@Mike_Despo @ning I didn’t really give either much thought. Just threw them together, on a lark.

I like Ning’s suggestion that the Longest Streak badge is the for the winner and the No Committee badge is for self-identified (?) participants. Perhaps there is a minimum of >7?, >10?, >14?, >21? days to be a participant?

2 Likes

I like this idea. @ning

2 Likes

To remind my badge suggestion :slight_smile: @ning

3 Likes

It might be painful to develop, but what are the chances of displaying progress on the badges that have yet to be earned? We have the green check mark for badges we’ve earned, but it would be nice to see “35/50 likes given”, for example.

4 Likes
  • bug_1
  • bug_0
  • bug_2

0 voters

@ning

6 Likes

I like badge two best. The orientation seems to be more natural.
One request, can there be one more circle in the spying glass? To differentiate between the glass and the rim. And the bug a little bit smaller. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I was thinking the same.

2 Likes

For invitations, is it possible to generate a general referral link instead of the links specific to e-mail addresses? The current method makes the invitation difficult. @ning

2 Likes

@ning How does it work to “Share a post with Unique Visitors”? I often copy the links here and send to other people but I don’t think this is counting towards that statistic or Id probably have gotten the badge already.
How can I work on this?

2 Likes

hey @mike_despo - are you using the share icon at the bottom of every post/topic? you’ll need the little identifier tacked on at the end of it to count:

example: …community-rewards-for-contributing-to-the-privacy-conversation/431/62?u=ning

And it’ll need to be X UVs on 1 post. so for the ‘rising star’ badge, 25 UVs for 1 post, not combined across posts. the trigger is also set to daily - so could just need to wait a little.

Let me know if that solves it, or if you still have issues. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hey everyone! quick update this week.

1. Reward payouts have moved to thursday starting this week, so @aaron has some space to send out the newsletter email closer to the start of the week.

2. Please vote on @Mike_Wagner’s bug finder badge above! most of us will probably receive this badge at some point :upside_down_face:

3. we have a few ‘ad-hoc badges’ now (not automatically triggered by activity): see the others section. i’ll probably assign some rewards to a few of them this week or next.

what’s the best way to award these/keep track of those who should receive one? i’m happy to keep trawling through posts, but should we have a weekly nomination thread or is that a bit overkill?

let me know what you guys think.

6 Likes

How come the Sharing rewards are just for one post and not counted across multiple posts? It seems hard to impossible to get that many views from one shared post.

Could I vote that the sharing reward can be earned by shares totaling from multiple posts? Like, a cumulative thing. Even if the target # needs to be raised in that case, I think it’d at least make it achievable at some point, with enough work. =)

3 Likes

Noted, thanks for the suggestion.

25 views a post is definitely not impossible :wink: your posts are very helpful - get them out there!

Allowing rewards for cumulative uvs might encourage spam/cheating. It is easy for someone to select 25 posts and then just use a single fake account to click through them all.

I do see where you’re coming from however. I’ll think about it more. That said, most of the automatic badges currently utilize discourse’s own default rules. My original plan was to assess traction for the first month before committing additional resources to designing a batch with custom rules. Am happy to do so if this initiative proves promising (so far it is!)

3 Likes