How to check your server storage for your Virtual Node

Similar to other blockchains, the Incognito network increases the size gradually. If you are a Virtual Node user, we do recommend to monitor the storage of your server monthly.
The shortage of free-space will prevent your Node from syncing/ processing data from the network, which affects your earning and the stability of the Incognito network as well.

Sometimes, the app didn’t give a warning message about this problem

Screenshot_20200221-151404_Incognito%20Wallet

To check deeper, you need to log in (ssh) your server and enter this command:

df -h

If the directory “dev/vda1/” is shown as 100%, it means that you need to upgrade the volume of your drive

Untitled

We suggest you should create a new server and set up the Node again with your current validator key

Useful instruction: How to host a Virtual Node

Now, the storage requirement is 160GB minimum. At the end of March 2020, there will be optimization on the network size. It is expected to reduce the volume by 50%. We will keep you posted.

8 Likes

I ran into a disk space issue the other day and checked docker stats and noticed one of the containers not running. After a bit of troubleshooting, I couldn’t get it to work, so ended up wiping my digital ocean droplet and creating a new one.
Just curious, what is the best way to deal with disk space? Are there easier ways than wiping my droplet and recreating everything? Wiping a droplet and recreating is really easy, but would be nice if there was a quick daily/weekly maintenance type of thing I could do to alleviate the diskspace from filling up to the point of stopping docker container processes.

Hi Jjajangmeun, you did a good way: Wipe the droplet and re-create the server. Usually, the app will let you know when there is a problem with the Node (You will see a “Fix it” message).
In the meantime, we are working on an update to reduce the blockchain size. Let’s have a look: Reduce Blockchain size by 50%

1 Like