How we work

The DAO is a living organism and has since evolved.

Head on over to: How we work v.2

The experiment

As with initiatives like Monero CCS and Decred Politeia, this is Incognito’s experiment with open-sourced, crowd-sourced development. In this first iteration of the Incognito DAO, funds will be disbursed manually, and decisions will be made by a handful of members from the core dev team, conducted through a simple forum format. As the Incognito DAO finds it’s feet, this will be automated, decision-making will be opened to the wider community, and the process will be moved on-chain.

The process

These are the three main stages in the funding process: Proposals, Funded Projects, Archive. Each of them is organized as a sub-category in the DAO category.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 23.03.08

Proposals

1. Submit a formal proposal as a topic in the Proposals category. Consider bouncing ideas off the community in the Ideas category before submitting a formal proposal – this will help you refine your ideas and determine a need for your solution. You are welcome to submit a proposal in any format you wish, but to make sure you cover all essential elements, here is a template. You can submit a proposal in any area relevant to Incognito. Here is an example proposal.

2. Once the proposal is posted, it is open to community appraisal. Anyone will be able to respond to your proposal, ask further questions or provide added insight. Do keep an eye on the thread and engage with the community. You can revise the project description at any point during this phase.

3. In these early stages of the Incognito DAO, the funder is the core dev team. A board of 10 will make final decisions on whether or not to fund a proposal. The board consists of 8 people from the core team (@duy, @andrey, @ning, @dungtran @binh @thaibao @henry @annie ) and 2 external advisors (@zon, @chi). Proposals with 6 or more votes will be funded. Decision making is informed by community sentiment, rigor of the proposal, likelihood of completion, and the short and long term impact it will have. Funds are distributed in PRV.

4. Once funded, the proposal topic is moved to the Funded Projects category.

Funded Projects

1. The project owner will post weekly updates by replying to the project topic. The community, as well as the board, will respond with feedback, with the intention of supporting the project owner in reaching their goal.

2. Funding is released dependent on progress, on the first Tuesday of every month. As a general rule, advance funding is against protocol.

3. The board will do their best based on available information to decide if progress is satisfactory, and will release the funding due for the month, or stop funding the project.

Archive

1. Once all milestones are met, the project is moved to the Archive, and tagged [Completed].

2. Select projects will have topics created for them in the Products category. These will typically be full products or services. Feature improvements can be posted in the topic of the parent product.

3. Rejected proposals, unfunded projects and abandoned or canceled projects will also be moved here, tagged [void].

19 Likes

Really cool!

Thanks for the explaination.

1 Like

@ning :fist_right:t6: :fist_left:t6:

1 Like

How does one become “Funded” with a project?

@Mack_Tjan 5 core members vote about every proposals atm. Incognito aims to decentralize this process in the future.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! Also can you tell me the Contract Address for PRV so I can add it to my Script please? Thank you!

@raz to clarify… the DAO voting committee v0.1 was initially just one person, DAO v0.2. was composed of 5 core team members, and the current DAO v0.3 is being composed of 3 core team members and 2 non-core team members.

we’re experimenting with different DAO governance models – with the goal that it will be eventually be managed by the entire community of all PRV holders and that governance will be programmed on-chain to run trustlessly.

in addition to running our own experiments, we’re monitoring closely how other projects are doing their own governance. some of these projects that seem to be doing a lot of the right things are decred, makerdao, tezos, and recently compound.

i believe @ning will write up a post explaining the current governance model. i think we’ll do a better job at documenting these different governance experiments so that the community can understand the thought process.

5 Likes

Thank you @duy, I am super excited about this.

1 Like