I'm pleased to be able to provide a new staked vNode to the network. Some suggestions ...

Hi all,

I’ve setup a new vNode using Google Cloud. It all went smoothly following the instructions provided - I’m pleased to say no errors that I could see!

Ironically, the only issues I had were user error / understanding in terms of staking the node. When I say this I mean sending USDT to the wallet and working out how to convert it using the exchange to PRV. I created another thread regarding this and I had a swift response, thank you. Anyway, all good now, so it is a fully staked node.

Some a couple of questions / suggestions:

1. Has anyone got any idea as to how much the Google Cloud on average will cost over say a year based on current activity? Google offer a $300 credit which I have on my account. How easy is it to move your node to another platform should the credit run out?

2. Having followed the instructions on how to stake the node, I found this experience very basic within the app. There is very limited confirmation that it has taken place correctly, and once complete, there is no way of seeing this in the app, bar the option to withdraw stake appears. Your stake should be shown against your node imho.

3. Can some sort of indication that your vNode is operating correctly be built in to the app?

4. When is your new pNode due for release and will it also act as a Bitcoin/Lighning hub? What is the anticipated cost roughly?

5. Will the vNode reboot at any interval automatically? Will it auto-update to newer software versions? If not, what is the update process?

6. Does restarting the Google Cloud VM instance bring the node back up automatically or is some manual configuration required?

Hope this feedback helps.

Cordial wishes to all,

O

2 Likes

I spoke to soon - had issues with the VM and had to re-create another one! My stake on the app is not showing despite using the same validator number!?

Probably shouldn’t have looked to do this over a weekend when support is more limited :frowning:

Your stake is safe. The app has currently some issues so what you see in it could be random.

See: [SOLVED] Bug/Error iOS v3.6.4.2: undefined in not an object (evaluating 'u[f]')(undefined)

1 Like

That’s reassuring to hear - thank you!

Is there any other way to confirm this prior to an app update?

Cheers.

You should use https://incognito.mesquka.com/

See Ecosystem Tools for details

1 Like

Auto update is available until your VM reboot. After a reboot, you can run the command sudo bash run.sh, it will restart the auto update process.

It will restart automatically.

1 Like

Sorry - forgive me - I’ve taken a look (https://incognito.mesquka.com/) but can’t see how I can use this to find out?

If you see something like that after adding your node on Mesquka site, it’s ok:

Capture d’écran 2020-04-04 à 22.25.36

1 Like

I assume this is OK then?

‘Shards ID’ is -2
Thanks!

I think it is not OK. If your node is not in any shard, your shard id should be -1. You should see something like below. If you see a mining key /starting with bls), then it is ok.
Region capture 5

If you do not see any mining key, please check whether you add your node using https://incognito.mesquka.com/settings. If you have already added it, please check/uncheck “Direct Connect” box and check https://incognito.mesquka.com/nodes page out. If the issue still persists, could you send the screenshot of output of sudo docker ps?

As for your 5th and 6th questions, the node software runs in a docker container. vNode does not require any reboot and all updates are automatic. However, if a reboot occurs somehow, it starts automatically after the reboot. Therefore, once you start the node with sudo bash run.sh, it will not require any manual task (except bugs which are so rare) until you die or the hardware dies :slight_smile: To my experience, vNode is quite fail-safe.

1 Like

I do see a mining key but I do not see ‘Shard’ above ‘Layer’ or ‘Waiting’ above ‘Role’ as in your picture. Also, to confirm my ‘Shard ID’ is -2.

I’ll send output from sudo docker PS to follow …

Thanks for the other answers also :+1:t2:

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 23.15.49

Normally there should be 3 containers: inc_mainnet, eth_mainnet, logshipper . As I see, there is no logshipper but as I know, it shouldn’t prevent the node from working.

I checked the app just now. Stake button is enabled on my side, too. I think the network has a problem. Similar cases happened previously, no problem. The core team will take care. Let’s wait :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bizarrely, nothing changed my end but it appears correct in the app this morning!? Maybe temporary though as it’s clearly temperamental …

Still looks like an issue here though:
PNG image

Old VM instance deleted as it stopped again - new one setup - same output as above (bar exact beacon height obvs) …

Shard ID -2 usually means that your node is still synchronising.

3 Likes