Increase app usage for Incognito via digital marketing

What problem are you solving?

Let’s do a quick math, by the end of 2019, there are 45 millions crypto wallet users in the world. However, there’re only a few thousands people using Incognito to shield their crypto assets. Let’s face it, Incognito is solving one of the biggest problem of crypto, and yet, the wallet only has the adoption rate of 0.0066% in terms of users. We should have seen the problem by now right? It’s about the cute little adoption rate.

What is the solution?

Before going to the solutions part, let’s see why the adoption rate is still low. One of the biggest reason is awareness, the project is yet to be known by the majority of crypto citizens.

There are many ways to increase the awareness of Incognito: big exchanges listing (@elena is on it), partnerships (@andrey is doing a pretty great job), community seeding (@jason is in charge), public crypto event speaking (handled by @Ducky). However, all those activities only bring awareness without any guaranteed amount of actual users for Incognito app, that’s where digital marketing comes in.

We are gonna drive people with the need to buy crypto or care about privacy to our community & let them decide whether to use the product or not. With the current 3% conversion rate of the page into app install, we believe if we push the traffic strong enough, we’d expect to see a monthly grow of daily active users of 20%. We choose to reach customers when they really have the demand, that’s why we are going to run ads on 2 platforms:

- Google search ads: whenever people search for crypto privacy, buy BTC anonymously, etc. we will be there on the top result.
- Brave browser ads: Brave users love privacy, they are privacy enthusiasts, and more importantly, 40% of Brave browsers have a crypto wallet (ERC20). There can’t be any audience with a better match to Incognito’s target audience.
- Community seeding: this is a sub-strategy to support other campaigns like KOLs, digital ads (in the comment section of the landing page), partnerships announcements, etc.

Which solutions do people resort to because this doesn’t exist yet?

Partnership announcements & public crypto events were the main 2 channels for increasing awareness of the project.

Who are you?

A growth team member who strongly believe in the potential of the project and eager to make Incognito one of the most popular new crypto project in 2020.

Why do you care?

Privacy is a big problem for the crypto world, and bringing a beautiful solution to more & more people in need is hard to say no to.

What’s your plan? What’s your schedule?

Start running ads on the above-mentioned channels to drive app 1,000 installs for Incognito every month.

What’s your budget?

MARCH

Resource Price Quantity Monthly cost
Digital marketer 2,000 PRV 1 2,000 PRV
Brave ad budget 1,028 USD 1 2,700 PRV
Google ad budget 1,610 USD 1 4,245 PRV
Facebook ad budget 135 USD 1 348 PRV
Seeding team for march only 660 PRV 1 660 PRV
Total (March budget including seeding budget) 9,953 PRV

APRIL & MAY

Resource Price Quantity Monthly cost
Digital marketer 2,000 PRV 1 2,000 PRV
Brave ad budget 1,472 USD 1 3,815 PRV
Google ad budget 1,500 USD 1 3,950 PRV
Facebook ad budget 1,500 USD 1 3,950 PRV
Total (April to May) 45,660 PRV

Is there an existing conversation around this idea?

There have already been discussions about awareness growth strategy. You can find them here: Growth awareness through integrations (Andrey) , List PRV on stakingrewards.com , Increase Incognito exposure by recruiting YouTubers & influencers.

Is there anything else you would like the community to know?

I believe word-of-mouth is still one of the best way to do marketing for any product. If you love the product, the project, please speak up, share it with your friends. As for us, we’ll improve the product non-stop to make it bug-free and smooth for our beloved users.

4 Likes

It is extremely good proposal but I cringed at the mention of Google Adsense. I don’t really think the ROI will make it as the Adsense fees have been escalating.

My proposal will be to “infiltrate” the high schools and universities IT or computer or block chain club and work hand in hand with them. The members coming out to work in the society will have far more understanding of us and hence more WOM.

4 Likes

Are you sure that google ads will approve paid ads for crypto projects?

2 Likes

Yeap that’s a good point, most likely No.

1 Like

This would be amazing! Right now we’re averaging about 1000 transactions a day. This could increase traffic to almost double the transactions.

Hi Boochuan, thanks for your idea, I believe it’s a good one & the conversion rate would be high. However it’s a long-term approach & we are stretched pretty thin now.

As other projects are now building the privacy solutions for cryptos, and we have a temporary advantage of being the first to offer this solution in a way that can support multi-coins on the market. Therefore we decided to focus on what we can do best in this short window period.

1 Like

Precisely true :smile:. Easy for me to talk as I am not sitting on the Hot Seat :smile::smile::smile:

1 Like

I wasn’t sure until some of my ads ran smoothly on Google Search. I also tried and checked, other companies are also running Google Ads for crypto. Therefore I’m confident that I can scale up the traffic to Incognito via Google Search. @nickvasilich @anon8296499

2 Likes

Great! This will save a lot of time but with some costs involved :smile::pray:

1 Like

Updates for last week marketing progress:

• Ads on Brave & Google are live.
  • We got 401 installs so far in March, 50% of them is organic.
  • Spent $717 on Brave & $720 on Google: $1,437.
  • Average cost per install: $7. (targeted cost per install is $10, so this is somehow a good start for us)

TAKEAWAYS:

• This is a testing period, this week’s focus will be about stopping channels that do not work, & promoting platforms that do.
  • We also decided to stop the seeding campaign as it does not work out. It’d be better to focus on building a great product & do referral program for our users to talk about us in the most natural way possible (Word of mouth marketing). Total spending for Seeding this week is 660 PRV.
  • Optimize landing page content for Incognito to increase conversion rate.
  • Target to maintain the CPI & new install for this week, since we’d need to analyze how many new deposits we have from this new amount of installs before scaling up the budget.
4 Likes

Cool @henry. Have you figured out a way to track the effectiveness of Brave ads since typical methods won’t work?

3 Likes

Weekly report updates:

• We got 214 installs in 5 days (9th to 14th Mar).
  • Overall progress: 615/1,000.
Week Installs Paid installs CPI
1st - 8th Mar 401 200 $7.18
9th - 13th Mar 214 102 $6.72
Total 615 302 $7.02

TAKEAWAYS:

For this week, we temporarily paused the campaign on Brave & working on a separate landing page for Brave Ads (Not on Incognito.org, but another domain). This will help with 2 objectives:

• Customize the content layout to convert better the audience. Audience’s patience with community/forum type of content is only high when the traffic is organic, or via Google Search ads. However with Brave ads, the patience of the audience here is mostly below 5 seconds, and if we can’t catch their attention in the first 5 secs, then the campaign will not generate good results.
  • We need a seperate page to better track the traffic coming to the site (not via G.A, we will trigger an event everytime the page is loaded successfully, and after that, the bot will work as a timer to record how long an average event is). We can use this number to double check with Brave clicks to see if the numbers add up.

The campaign is expected to be back & running by next Wednesday.

4 Likes

That’s some good results you have got at a bargain price! Congrats

3 Likes

Weekly report updates:

• We got 165 installs in 6 days (14th to 19th Mar).
  • Overall progress: 773/1,000.
14th - 19th Mar 157 50 $6.28
Total 773 302 $6.91

TAKEAWAYS:

• For this week, we’ve been improving the content on the Wallet site, in order to convert better. We also setup the Facebook Ads account to start pushing ads on Facebook (expected to go live this saturday).
  • Cost per install remains stable due to our laying low budget.
  • We expect to see the increase install by next week
2 Likes

Hey @henry thanks for the update.

Just a quick comment. Last week you mentioned that beside the digital marketing you plan to do the activities (on screenshot below) but on the week update, you haven’t mentioned anything about it. Just want to check if there is any progress with them?

1 Like

@henry i’m not familiar with CPI and what would be a good CPI. does it stand for cost-per-install?

how is it calculated exactly? is it costs / total installs (both organic + paid) or costs / paid installs only?

anyhow, i feel that $6.x and $7.x seem really expensive to me. can you help the community understand these costs better? and what’s the plan to drive the costs down?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Those are some pretty valid concerns you are raising. I’d love to answer with my humble knowledge about digital marketing.

Here’s how the CPI (Aka, cost per install) is calculated:
CPI = Total ads spending / paid installs only.

The current average CPI for app in the US fluctuating from $2-2.5 in 2019. That’s the case for apps that are familiar with an average digital consumers (entertainment, media, digital wallet, etc.).

Therefore the current CPI is quite okay for the market that we are going after. However as you can see, I’m spending less and less to test out which approach converts better, and after all the optimizations, I’ll share with the community the best cost we can get. And at that point, we will decide whether to move forward with the presented cost, or stop.

Our current CPI is higher than usual for 2 reasons:

• Our product targets a niche market of users, crypto adopters who are concerned about privacy issue of Blockchain.
  • We are currently driving traffic to the Wallet topic => From there they go to Store to install the app. (2 steps for users)

Here is the plan to drive down CPI for Wallet:

• Drive users directly to Playstore/Appstore (hopefully to drive down cost to around $3-4)
  • Enhance targeting by lookalike audience & re-targeting techniques.
3 Likes

Weekly report updates:

• We got 351 installs in 9 days (20th to 28th Mar).
  • Overall progress: 1,124/1,000.
14th - 19th Mar 157 50 $6.28
20th - 28th Mar 351 65 $5.39
Total 1,124 367 $6.68

We spent $2,785 in total in March, with 1,124 new installs, and 80 new users who actually deposited their money in the app.

TAKEAWAYS:

• Switch to pushing traffics to appstore/playstore => Decrease acquisition cost.

• Keep the testing budget at around $50/day till desirable results are achieved.

• Resume Brave Ads.

3 Likes

Hey Henry !
Forgive me in advance if I am wrong.
Just noticed that your updated calculation is a bit wrong. Did you make any updates for this ?

Your April, May budge (I assume it’s for April 1 - May 31)

• 2,000 + 3,815 + 3,950 + 3,950 = 13,715 PRV
  • 13,715 PRV * 2 months = 27,430 PRV

But in your proposal says 45,660 PRV for 2 months.

1 Like

Oh yes you’re right Andrey. I forgot to update the total amount. Thanks for the feedback. Please check again if there’s any problem.

1 Like