Is trustless adding and listing of ERC-20 tokens not trustable?

Last week I made a deposit to a unverified pCoin based ERC-20. It has a pair with PRV as usual and I had deposited such coins and traded this pair (and other unverified pairs) many times previously but this time I couldn’t deposit it and @Ducky said that it would be refunded to my Ethereum wallet since “[the coin] has not been verified on Incognito chain yet, so you’d better not deposit this coin to Incognito, it might cause the money lost!”. If really this is the case, this is against trustless adding and listing of ERC-20 tokens, which is one of the essential features of Incognito chain. The verification process is a trust-based and centralized process. I remember that the team wrote that listing and adding of ERC-20 are trustless. I think the verification should be just checking whether the contract id is true or not. In my case, it was true. Could the team clarify the issue?

Btw, I checked just now. That unverified coin (the other unverified ERC-20 coins are still there) was removed from the asset list. FYI

3 Likes

Hi @abduraman, I think there is a miscommunication here. Let me explain a little bit.
DGX token was added on the Incognito chain around Feb 2020. We received some deposits and have it withdrawn successfully out of the Incognito network then.
As you know, we cover the withdrawal fee for these ETH/ ERC-20 token in the meantime.
See also: pIDRT to IDRT Fee
And, we found that this DGX token is taking an additional fee when it is transferred to the receiver. We can’t cover these kinds of fees right now. So, we decided to stop supporting this token.
Untitled1

When we implement a new fee structure in the future, we will consider supporting this token again. Hope it helps.

We will refund you today. Thanks for being cooperative.

3 Likes

OK but how will you prevent someone from add DGX token again? Is it hardcoded?

Hi @abduraman just a quick comment not about your case, but in general for common understadning.

There are a lot of ERC20 tokens that do not have an “approve” function. If a token doesn’t have this function it can’t go through the bridge properly.

This is one of the reasons why we haven’t verified Kucoin, ZB, or Syntentix tokens yet.

5 Likes