[Shipped] Run the Incognito chain dev ship - April 2020

1. What privacy problem are you solving?

The Incognito chain dev team is pretty sizeable, and there are many challenges that come with that. Everyone on the Incognito team is smart. But to keep things running smoothly, every single member needs to be in sync. Someone needs to make sure all the pieces fit together.

2. What is the solution?

Conflicts, errors and debates are to be expected in a large team running as fast as they can. My job is to make sure every issue is closed and every discussion is productive. I design the roadmap, review the source code, split tasks, and make sure everyone understands each other. My team and I test everything that is built with the utmost care.

3. Which solutions do people resort to because this doesn’t exist yet?

I’ve been leading the chain team since the first line of code was written in May 2018.

4. Who are you?

Prior to Incognito, I was the engineering manager at Viettel, Vietnam’s largest mobile network operator, where I helped build network infrastructure for their 110M global subscribers. State-owned monopolies weren’t really doing it for me, so in 2018, I wrote a few lines of code as a demo for a privacy blockchain network. That demo is now Incognito Chain. I’m excited to keep growing it to support privacy for the world.

5. Why do you care?

I want Incognito to succeed. I want our team to work smoothly in pursuit of a common goal, and I want our people to find their work meaningful.

6. What’s your plan? What’s your schedule?

I take care of the before, during, and after. First, I review solutions and designs of all tech proposals before they are implemented, in order to reduce trade-off and risk.

Main schedule

This is my schedule for this April:

Timeline Deliverables
1 -> 8/4 1. Review and merge pull requests for some new features: Portal v2 – and make sure there are no issues with merged code.
2. Support growth team for designing bug bounty program.
3. Official release for Optimized database version 2
8 -> 15/4 Review and merge pull requests for features including Consensus v2 multiview on testnet
15 -> 22/4 Review and merge pull requests for some new features: pCompound
22 -> end of April Review and merge pull requests for some new features: Privacy version 2

I will also:

• Maintain a good environment for testing
  • Ensure every engineer has the tools they need to succeed
  • Monitor devnet, testnet statuses

7. What’s your budget?

Resource Cost Quantity Monthly Cost
Technical Lead 4,000 PRV 1 4,000 PRV
TOTAL (x 1 months) 4,000 PRV

8. Is there an existing conversation around this idea?

Not on this forum – but my team keeps me on my toes every day.

9. Is there anything else you would like the community to know?

Please always feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions about how things work, or if you have suggestions about how we can do things better.

3 Likes

Update for 11 April:

• Reviewed 1st for Pull request of Portal ver2(Vault on incognito): requested team to update for rewarding custodian.
  • Review and deploy hotfix for 3 issues:
    1/ RPC to call info of privacy token so slowly -> full node will be 503 or 504 often
    2/ Bridge status did not return correctly from the full node of app team -> some deposit ERC20 not work
    3/ Full node can not sync exactly when restart suddenly
  • Support @elvis.p maintain an independent full node for centralized api-service, so he will not use the same full node with the app team
  • Deploy and official release a new tag for Database ver.2: team myconstant and app wallet now is using this newest version

Next week, I need to review 2nd for Portal ver2. If it’s still not correct, we need to delay merge code of consensus ver2 to testnet for a safe version next week. By the side, next week is time to deploy pUniswap on mainnet

3 Likes

Update for 17 April:

I completed reviewing and merging portal ver.2 2nd into branch dev/master-db-v2. This morning, it’s deployed on the testnet and ready for the test. Because we have some issues on portal ver2 and need to fix, so this merging is late.

And the result is that consensus ver.2 should merge this into their source code(late). The fact that team consensus ver.2 needs to make some change with code of portal v2 with multiview, what state will be used with logic business. And team portal v2 + team consensus v2 needs to meet and review it.

By the way, I will start reviewing consensus ver.2 with multiview processing

Thanks

1 Like

Update for 24 April

Last week, I spend more time to review about repo feeder tool for portal v2 team and add some suggestion for the team.

After that, I spend pretty much all of week to complete review pull request 851 with some suggestion here. Next week, I need review again with multiview-consensus v2 with a finalized pull request for portal v2 + multi-view. Hopefully, we have finalized source code for testnet at end of next week.

By the way, last week is time for testing of portal v2 on testnet so that I need to spend time to support deploying testnet and try to support smooth flow from deploying, check bug, updating more source code, tester team… for this feature.

Next week is final week for this month, we complete some thing here:

• Deploy pCompound on testnet
  • Deploy consensusv2 - multiview on testnet
  • Complete test portal v2 and ready for deploying on mainnet

Unfortunately, privacy-v2 still have a lot issue that need to fix. Maybe it will be for next month for a stable version code

3 Likes

cool Bao. it’s very good to spend your time to review code & give the suggestion to your team.

1 Like

Update for last week of April:

So, I completed finally a review code for multiview at PR. This PR is merged into branch dev/master-db-v2, prepare for deploying on testnet. When the flow of portal v2 is smooth testing on testnet(1st week of May), I will deploy this code on testnet.

pCompound code on-chain is the fact that is on testnet, and the other things are of app team, which means this includes in pDeFi implement. And @harry, @thachtb will move forward with this feature with the pDeFi team.

Portal v2 is tested, something is not smoothly working on testnet and I will try to support team for the best

And I hope in May, privacy v2 can cross-over difficulty for a stable implement solution.

1 Like

What improvements will privacy v2 will bring??? Thanks :blush:

1 Like

Hi @ELDAD
We will have a one-time-address feature, and the size of proofs should be decreased. That means we can hide the receiver and transfer token with a smaller tx. Does that sound better?
But, we need to be careful when converting to a new version of tx. Because of this difficulty, privacy v2 needs more time to try to convert old tx to new tx version.

Thanks

1 Like